Instructions - Gas Bonnet Struts (RA, RA7, RC, Early D-Max Shape) Posted on 17 May 11:05
The installation of these Gas Bonnet Struts requires minimal mechanical knowledge and tools. It is important to follow these instructions, as this kit differs from other gas strut kits.
N.B: Be very careful when working under the bonnet, be sure to keep the bonnet rod in place until the install is finalised.
- 10mm Socket/Spanner
- 4mm Allen Key
- 12mm Spanner
- 13mm Spanner
- 24mm Spanner
- Shifting Spanner
- First bolt up each gas strut to a guard bracket using the ball joint end of the gas strut and the stainless nuts supplied in your bolt kit. Follow the photo below to ensure correct orientation. (13mm and 12mm Spanner is needed.
- From the engine bay undo the middle bolt on top of each guard and fit up the corresponding guard bracket using the provided M6 countersunk bolt, as shown below. (4mm Allen key needed)
- Thread the black locking nut onto the clevis fork mount and tighten loosely, as shown below.
- Undo and remove the upper bonnet hinge bolt, and replace with assembled clevis fork mount, loosely tightened. (12mm spanner is needed)
- Ensure the flat side of the clevis mount, indicated above, faces upward, as shown below.
- Attach the gas strut to the clevis fork mount using the clevis fork end of the strut. The bonnet rod will need to be removed and the bonnet carefully lifted till the clevis fork can fitted to the mount. It is recommended to have another person lift the bonnet whilst you fit the strut. Secure with the clevis pin and circlip as shown above. (A pair of pliers are needed)
- Holding the clevis fork on the gas strut with a shifting spanner, slowly loosen the locking nut on the clevis fork mount so that it tightens against the bonnet and takes up the slack. (Shifting spanner and 24mm spanner is needed)
- Ensure the flat side of the clevis fork mount faces up and parallel with the bonnets path of travel, as the clevis fork will bind up and restrict the bonnet from opening and closing if it is not.
- Repeat steps 3 - 6 for the gas strut on the other side.
- Slowly lower the bonnet to test the struts and ensure it has been fitted correctly. If the bonnet binds up midway down DO NOT force it closed, double check the installation, and if nothing appears incorrect, give Jared a call on 0404 797 034.
If you have any issues please contact me and I am more than happy to assist.
All the best with your 4weeling. Stay safe.