Instructions - Gas Bonnet Struts (Isuzu D-Max 2020 onwards and MUX 2021 onwards (Only - 4JJ3)) Posted on 13 Jun 16:46
The installation of these Gas Bonnet Struts requires minimal mechanical knowledge and tools. It is important to follow these instructions, as this kit differs from other gas strut kits.
N.B: Be very careful when working under the bonnet, be sure to keep the bonnet rod in place until the install is finalised.
- 5mm Allen Key
- 12mm Spanner
- 13mm Spanner
- 14mm Spanner
- Shifting Spanner
- First bolt up each bonnet hinge bracket to the bonnet hinges using the stainless bolts and washers supplied in your bolt kit. Do one side at a time and ensure, once tightened, the bonnet hinge sits in its original spot, as it will move when loosened. Follow the photo below to ensure correct orientation. (12mm Spanner is needed.)
- Attach the clevis mounts to the radiator support using the custom locating nuts supplied, in the two holes circled below. The custom nut is held up from underneath, while the clevis mount is screwed in from above. The locating lip will sit flush with the top of the radiator support. Loosely tighten with the angled face of the clevis mount facing the front of the vehicle.
- Attach the ball pivot end of gas strut to bonnet hinge mount using the supplied stainless nut. Tighten using a 12mm and 13mm spanner. (12mm and 13mm Spanner is needed.)
- Attach the gas strut to the clevis mount using the supplied pin and circlip, as shown below. The bonnet rod will need to be removed and the bonnet lifted slightly to fit the pin into the clevis mount. Use pliers to fit the circlip. (Pliers are needed.)
- Using the shifting spanner, hold the clevis fork on the gas strut whilst tightening the nut from underneath the radiator support using a 14mm spanner. (14mm Spanner and Shifting Spanner is needed.)
- Repeat steps 3 - 5 for the gas strut on the other side.
- Slowly lower the bonnet to test the struts and ensure it has been fitted correctly. If the bonnet binds up midway down DO NOT force it closed, double check the installation, and if nothing appears incorrect, give Jared a call on 0404 797 034.
If you have any issues please contact me and I am more than happy to assist.
All the best with your 4weeling. Stay safe.